Brand Growth Opportunities
Major OTC brand franchise was looking for growth opportunities for one of its significant, but declining, line extensions. Its 'reason for being' was no longer relevant to the category. The line extension required separate marketing support and could not be incorporated into the parent brand's promotional campaign
- How can we accelerate sales of the line extension, despite an obsolete product formula, no compelling differentiation, and regulatory risks associated with the product's OTC monograph?
- Conducted data mining to systematically review clinical research, relevant regulations and market research on the line extension
- Structured and facilitated cross-functional workshop with Marketing, Medical and Regulatory teams to review the data, discuss obstacles, and identify 'white space' opportunities
- Uncovered clinical data that could be linked to a significant unmet consumer need
- Repositioned the product, leading to a 150% increase in sales within 44 weeks
"If we had not been there together, to review the data in that systematic way, and if you had not pushed us to get outside regulatory counsel to get comfortable ... We would never have gone with it."